During your child’s time at Bishop Stopford’s sixth form they will undertake a number of formal trial exams in preparation for their final external exams. Information on all these exams can be found below. If you or your child has any further queries regarding exams in the sixth form please contact our exams officer Michelle Bristow using the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
November 2020 External Examinations – English and Maths GCSE
External GCSE exams in English and Maths will be running from the 2nd November – 9th November.
Year 13 November 2020 Trial Exams
Year 13 Trial exams will be running from the 2nd November – 9th November. These exams will help inform teacher’s decisions on predicted grades for UCAS entry and other pathways as well as future planning and lesson delivery to ensure the best possible outcomes for your child. Whilst it has been announced in the media that all exams will take place in Summer 2021 we are, of course, preparing for all eventualities and as such the results from these trial exams will be taken very seriously.
- Essential equipment list
- Parental information letter – Year 13 Trial Exams
- Year 13 November 2020 Trial Exams – Overview timetable
Revision Tips and Techniques
Excellent exam results don’t just come to people who are ‘lucky’ or ‘talented’. They are a product of hard work and dedication. Don’t be fooled into thinking that you know all the information, and can apply this in exams, just because you turned up to lessons! In order to achieve, and indeed exceed, your targets active and thorough revision is key.
When your revise you’ll need to:
- Learn facts
- Apply knowledge to new scenarios
- Understand the layout and format of exam papers
- Practicing timed past exam papers and questions
- Develop understanding of topics
- Practice techniques
Make sure your revision is worthwhile:
- Don’t waste your time and energy on ineffective revision
- Put your phone away, avoid distraction
- Set a time frame and stick to it, if you’re doing half an hour revision put everything else aside for that half an hour, set a timer on your phone and put it in the drawer until the timer goes off!
Make full use of the excellent Revision sites. Check out which ones work for you, see the links below:
Make sure you have this up and running, ask for help if you are struggling. Join the relevant classrooms to access resources and more. If you don’t know the class code then ASK your teacher. You may need to get your password/user ID from the IT helpdesk if you don’t know it, you MUST use your school log in details to enter the google classrooms, not a personal email address.
Use a revision timetable. Here are some useful templates to help you. Edit them print them, stick them somewhere public so everyone knows what you are committing to… the fridge is a good place!
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!
Use these links below to download past papers from the exam boards:
Get your parents/carer on board:
Ask your parents for help, talk to them, they want to support you as much as possible.
This document gives some top tips to parents trying to support you.
We’re excited to announce that Parents of Bishop Stopford’s have exclusive access to Elevate Education’s Parent Webinar Series: Empowering Parents to Reinforce Study Skills at Home.
- 14/10 – Time Management: How to resolve battles over homework and workload, get on the same page and help balance life & academics.
- 10/11 – Exams: Developing a pre-exam roadmap with your child to maximise their chances of success and keep overwhelm at bay.
- 01/12 – Stress & Wellbeing: Understanding your child’s stress triggers, symptoms, and a tool-kit for stabilising during tough periods.
Register here: https://get.elevatecoaching.info/uk/register