We believe that every child has the right to succeed at Bishop Stopford’s School, a crucial part of this success is ensuring each pupil is supported to reach national expectation in English and Maths such that they are able to access the full curriculum at KS3 and beyond. From the day your child joins us at Bishop Stopford’s we are working to ensure additional interventions are in place for those students who need, helping them to feel more confident, gain knowledge and reach or surpass the level of their peers.
Early intervention is the key
In order to successfully and quickly ensure all our students are offered the support they need we work to identify pupils who may not be meeting the expected standard at the end of KS2. We do this by liaising with primary schools and using CAT4 testing for all pupils in the first half term of each academic year. This process is a fun online test which the pupils do in one of our computer suites. We are able to use the results from these screens to identify pupils who require additional support and then sensitively and effectively work with these pupils.
We follow the intervention program outlined below:
- Diagnostic CAT4 testing
- TALC 2 testing
- Ruth Miskin Literacy catch up programme for all students assessed to be below the expected level in English reading
- Numeracy catch up programme for all students assessed to be below the expected level in maths
- Data-Pac materials – to devise individual programmes for students with more specific needs
- Breakfast and homework clubs
- Break time ‘Games club’
- Training of support staff in the delivery of intervention programmes
- In class support for those identified as SEND in terms of literacy and numeracy
- Appointment of co-ordinators for literacy and numeracy
Catch up premium
To help schools provide support to Year 7 student who did not achieve the expected standard in reading and/or maths at the end of Key Stage 2 The literacy and numeracy catch-up premium gives state funded schools additional funding.
- Our most recent review of the use of this funding can be found here.